My Original Problem was ufsdump reported bad sectors but when "fsck"ing the
disk it found no problems.
I got some responses but none were to helpfull.
I changed the disk to a new one copied using dd and still had same problems.
finnaly i used a script that followed the directory tree of the disk ( lucky
for me it had only one slice ) and created a tar file of each directory .
tar failed on 2 directories which probably did all the problems in the first
I used the error from tar to delete those files and then re tarred it and
all went well .
then a newfs to the disk and i untarred everything .
now we're back in buisness .
I still would like to know if there's a way to locate which file occuipies
which sector ( i know how to do this with inode and block size but not
Thanks for all who replied .
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:14:06 CDT