I recently posted a question about problems compiling sendmail v8
with bind v8. Here's the original post:
I can't get sendmail to compile with
-lbind because it complains about a bunch of undefined symbols,
_res_init being an example of one. If I compile with libresolv.so
(-lresolv) it works fine. ... more verbage deleted...
I can compile makemap either with -lresolv or -lbind defined. With -lbind,
the makemap binary is much larger as expected. What are the implications
of using a makemap built on -lbind but using a sendmail built on -lresolv???
Thanks to Claus Assmann <email@example.com for his eagle
eyes. It turns out my problem was a simple typo that oddly enough, I
couldn't see. Turns out the Bind v8 version of resolv.h wasn't being
seen and the reason was because the stupid font on my xterm was showing
-I to be -l. Thus I was dreaming up all kinds of weird reasons for it
not to be working when in reality it was a simple typo. When I cut and
pasted my INCDIR to Claus, he saw it really as:
where as I saw it as:
Guess it proves never to believe what you see on your screen. :-) I
feel better and feel like an idiot all at the same time!
On Part 2 of my question, Claus pointed out that makemap doesn't require
DNS support built in, so I built it without either -lbind or -lresolv
and it compiled just fine.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:12:29 CDT