Turns out that the machine was getting rebooted but a 'last reboot'
didn't show all of the most recent reboots. To find out what was really
going on I tried 3 things:
1) did a crontab -e ( gotta set EDITOR var first) to see I had a corrupt
2) check the programs that are run via cron and turn out one of them was
a web server "hit counter" program that depended on a dir. that is
frequently at 100%.
3) Lastly, I check to see when that last few reboots occured and sure
enough about 96% of the error I saw in /var/cron/log we due to reboots.
So, I concluded that this was the problem.
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR TEACHING (i.e. informing of signal.h and reading
the kill man page)/HELPING ME with this one :))
Jason L. Harrell UNIX System Administrator JSA 11861 Westline Industrial Dr. St. Louis, MO 63146 firstname.lastname@example.org
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:12:06 CDT