The original problem was that the / partition, which was only about 14
Megabytes, had the mail files on it and frequently filled up, causing the
computer to have a problem, as you can well imagine.
I installed a new hard drive and was able to do that because of this group.
I then moved the print files, but not the print program to the new disk
and then set up some soft links from the old directories to the new
1. Change to single-user mode by logging in as su. This stopped anyone
from using the
2. Copy the files from /var/spool/mail to /new1/mail
cp -rp /var/spool/mail /new1 /* this is a recursive-preserve copy,
chown username filename * preserved everything except
* used chown on each file, making everything
/* identical to the original directories.
cp -rp /var/spool/mqueue /new1
chown username filename
3. Remove the original files
rm -rf mqueue
rm -rf mail
4. Create soft links.
ln -s /var/spool/mqueue /new1/mqueue
ln -s /var/spool/mail /new1/mail
5. Then I rebooted
shutdown -r now
6. Checked out the mail, directories and file systems. The / file system
to 55% full and is no longer affected by the buildup of mail.
All's well that ends well!
Thanks to all again.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:11:50 CDT