Thanks to all who responded. My question was how to convert
Sparc 1+'s to X-terminals under Solaris 2.5.
0) Don't convert them to xterms. Sparc 1+'s run Solaris
fine except that you need a little bit more RAM (and
hard disk space).
1) Purchase SunSoft AutoClient software which will make
a system a dataless client with no local file systems.
The hard disk is used as a cache.
2) Make the system a dataless client. The / and swap
file systems are local the rest mounted over the net.
Solaris 2.6 will not support dataless clients---but it
seems that one can still manually configure them to
be dataless clients by simply mounting /usr remotely(???).
3) Use X-kernel from ftp://sol.ctr.columbia.edu/Xkernel
which will convert a Sparc 1+ into an X-Terminal using
4) Install Linux on them. http://www.geog.ubc.ca/sparclinux.html
5) Install SunOS 4.1.4 mount X11R6.1 remotely and configure
the system to act as an X-term.
Options 3, 4, 5 are not options if you need Display Postscript.
I need Display Postscript, do I will make them diskless clients and
use the entire local hard disk as a large swap. If and when
the hard disk dies, the swap space is mounted remotely. This
is my plan of action right now. Thanks.
-- Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: (409) 862-1764 | Fax: (409) 845-3144 Finger for pgp 2.6 key, fingerprint: E867 D9DB 9616 5DAC 0F67 FE98 77FE 8583
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:10:59 CDT