Original question: I wanted to know if I should install high capacity drives
(1-2 gig) in sparc1 and sparc2 systems internally or externally, with the main
concern being heat generation.
THANK YOU for all your most helpful replies. Replies were prompt and well
- Most people recommended installing only 1 high capacity drive in the sparc1
systems. Do not exceed 20 watts consumption for drive power in a sparc1. This
is well under the rating for most high capacity drives.
- A sparc2 has much better ventilation and 30 watts max is ok. This allows for
the installation of 2 high capacity drives.
- Recommended drives: Fujitsu 2694esa(1g), Fujitsu 500meg (no p/n), Seagate
st11200, st2430n, st31200n, st31230n and Quantum 540meg/1.08g (no p/n). These
are drives that people have recommended in the replies and is obviously not
intended to be a complete list of all drives fit for internal installation.
- Drives to avoid: All drives that run at 7200 rpm (thanks Syed Zaeem Hosain).
These drives are exceptionally fast, but dissipate too much heat for internal
- Recommended suppliers: R Squared (303-799-9292), Insight Direct (800-488-0006)
and National Peripherals (708-325-4151). Again, this is not intended to be a
complete list, but is information I gained from the replies. I am in no way
assiociated with these suppliers.
Jim Coate firstname.lastname@example.org
Systems Administrator 303-252-2114
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:10:23 CDT