Firstly profuse thanks to all the people that responded to my plea for
help, I have located the problem and sendmail now seems to be doing
what I wanted it to do.
My first problem is that on my server I did not have the correct file.
I had a "client" sendmail.cf instead of the server one - I did not
realise this until I was prompted to wonder why I was getting my
server name NOT the mail gateway which is a totally different machine.
On my mail gateway I have
And on my server I have
Now if I send a message internally I get blymn@baobab as a return
path, sending a message externally gives a return path of
email@example.com which is what I want.
A lot of people also recommended using IDA sendmail to do the envelope
rewriting, from what I have heard the IDA sendmail is very good but
you have to understand m4 (the macro processor) to configure it -
which may have got me deeper into the merde ('scuse the French) since
my knowledge of m4 can be best termed as rudimentary.
Thanks to for their suggestions and/or offers of help:
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:06:44 CDT