I've gotten a couple of notes saying that my summary was truncated
after the end of the original post. So, here is a repost of the
summary without the original posting part.
The most of the suggestions involved:
- Verifying the integrity of /vmunix and that I'm booting from /vmunix.
- Verifying the integrity of the shared libc.
- Making sure I'm running the commands from the correct kvm directory.
- Testing the FPU. *THE WINNERS*
- Fsck'ing the disk with a backup superblock (fsck -b #...).
[This almost sounds obscene]
- Updating the OS. [I didn't know 4.1.1 was out]
It seems that the FPU was sick - it failed the diagnostics in
- Shut the system down.
- TURN THE POWER OFF (*&^!@#%$).
- Reboot the system.
- Learn how to curse in Spanish because it sounds so good.
- Better ventilation?
- Run the A/C power through a timer, so that it shuts off every 2 hours :-).
- Don't use computers.
Thank you for the responses - they're still coming in so sorry if I
Responders in chronological order (name where available):
dan@BBN.COM (Dan Franklin)
email@example.com (Scott Paisley)
my post arrived
firstname.lastname@example.org (Doug Neuhauser)
Adam Glass <glass@soda.Berkeley.EDU>
email@example.com (John M. Blasik)
finlay@Eng.Sun.COM (John Finlay)
Ian Angles <firstname.lastname@example.org>
email@example.com (Steve Jay)
dagobah!mis@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Seiden)
stern@East.Sun.COM (Hal Stern - Consultant)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Margaret Mikulska)
Michael J. Saletnik <icarus@End.Tufts.EDU>
Andrew Mellanby <email@example.com>
firstname.lastname@example.org (Curt Freeland)
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:06:00 CDT